A slow cooker is a great thing to have in your kitchen, especially if you love comfort foods. Meaty stews, hearty combos of veggies and pasta, cheese and more cheese, the options are endless with one of these guys hanging around. You can even make bread in your slow cooker!
Slow cookers are incredibly versatile and forgiving, a lot like this awesome recipe for queso chicken tacos. Warm, cheesy and filling, your whole family will love them. Prepare to have zero leftovers, which is always a bonus… that’s how you know you have a hit on your hands!
If you’re peering into your pantry and realizing you’ll need to substitute certain ingredients, or omit them entirely, it’s easy to do with this laid-back recipe. Ro-tel is great, but it’s possible that you don’t have it in your kitchen at the moment. No need to run to the store, just get a little creative! You could substitute salsa and a different kind of pepper, or take it in a whole different direction.
Not from the South? Then you might be scratching your head wondering “what is Ro-Tel, anyway?” It’s a well-known brand of canned tomatoes and green chiles, prepared deliciously and with varying levels of spice. If you’ve ever had queso (melted cheese dip) with tomatoes and other yummy bits in it, those yummy bits may have been Ro-Tel.
So, these ingredients are a starting point but there is certainly a ton of wiggle room. Whatever you’re considering, ask yourself: Does it sound good with cheese and chicken? If so it’s probably perfect. Throw it on in.
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Taco seasoning
- Chicken broth
- Green chiles
- Taco shells or tortillas
- Your favorite taco toppings
- Lightly spray your slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place chicken in the cooker in a single layer and sprinkle taco seasoning evenly on top.
- In a medium size bowl, combine Ro-Tel, green chiles and chicken broth, and pour over chicken.
- Cook on high for 4-6 hours, but keep an eye on it. Depending on how fast or slow your cooker works, the chicken could be done in as little as 3 hours.
- Drain most of the excess liquid, then shred the chicken using two forks.
- Spoon queso over top of the chicken and mix well. Cook on low for an additional 20 minutes until warm and gooey.
- Spoon the mixture into taco shells or tortillas and serve with your favorite toppings.
The post Slow Cooker Queso Chicken Tacos appeared first on Healthy Holistic Living.