I love garlic shrimp. It’s not only tasty but also kitchen friendly because it’s so easy to make. This quick and healthy garlic shrimp recipe is delicious thanks to its Asian influence. However, before you start cooking, you should know what to look for when shopping for shrimp.
Buy ASC Certified For Your Garlic Shrimp
Since much of the shrimp purchased at your local grocery store is actually farmed as opposed to wild-caught, always make sure it is Aquaculture Stewardship Council (ASC) certified. This ensures the shrimp has been farmed to the highest standards for health and the environment including: (1)
- Biodiversity: ASC certified shrimp farms make every effort to ensure they minimize their impact on the ecosystem.
- Feed: They also use a diet that limits wild fish and uses traceable food.
- Pollution: ASC certified shrimp must minimize pollution by complying with strict requirements.
- Diseases: These farms also adhere to strict requirements to reduce the risk of disease in the shrimp.
- Antibiotics: Despite fighting disease, these farms are restricted from using any antibiotics on the World Health Organization’s list.
- Social: ASC farms must also ensure they follow the core principles of the International Labour Organization (ILO), such as prohibiting child or forced labor.
Also, I’m a big advocate for eating fresh, local food. When it comes to shrimp that can be a challenge when you’re landlocked. However, I am sure if you live in an area where fresh shrimp is available, you’re already buying local! A good rule of thumb to buy the safest and most eco-friendly shrimp is to choose shrimp in this order: (2)
- Local, sustainable species
- Northwest wild shrimp
- ASC certified U.S. farmed or wild shrimp
- Avoid imported farmed and imported wild shrimp
Now that you know how to shop for it, here’s a delicious garlic shrimp recipe to enjoy! (3)
1/3 cup honey
1/4 cup soy sauce (You can use sodium reduced)
1 Tablespoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger (This is optional but highly recommended!)
1 lb. medium uncooked shrimp, peeled & deveined
2 teaspoons olive oil
Chopped green onion
- In a medium-sized bowl whisk together the honey, soy sauce, garlic, and ginger (if using) together in a medium bowl.
- Pour half the marinade over the shrimp coating them well. Place in the fridge for at least 15 minutes.
- Refrigerate the rest of the marinade.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat and cook the shrimp for about 45 seconds on each side.
- Discard the marinade used for the shrimp, and then add the refrigerated saved portion to the pan.
- Cook the shrimp for about 1 minute until cooked through.
- Serve with brown rice or quinoa and some steamed veggies. You can also toss the steamed veggies in with the shrimp for a quick stir fry.
This recipe is good enough for guests! In fact, they make an excellent appetizer when grilled. Just place the shrimp on skewers before marinating and then grill it until cooked through. Serve it on its own or over your favorite salad, which also makes a lovely lunch by the way.
The post Quick & Healthy Dinner: 20 Minute Honey Garlic Shrimp appeared first on Healthy Holistic Living.