Dear Reader: These are extraordinary times we’re living in, and while we always have a view toward health and wellness, sometimes the concept of self-care and wellness becomes a little different. As our needs shift, self-care might look like an over-the-top blanket fort in the living room… or decadent treats that aren’t normally a part of your diet. We believe that sometimes it’s OK to forego the usual self-care routine. That’s why the Pandemic Pantry series includes some “yummy but maybe not for every day” recipes for you to try. Enjoy!
When I think of the word “cookie”, chocolate chip always springs to mind. Of course, there are a thousand and one different kinds of cookies with nary a chocolate chip in the recipe, but for whatever reason, the stock photo in my head of a cookie is the old familiar brown on brown chocolate chip cookie.
So when I saw the recipe photo for these beautiful lemon cream cheese cookies, I did a double-take. They’re so… light, and bright! They look just like sunshine on a plate, and thanks to their tangy citrus icing they taste exactly like you would expect summertime to taste.
They are pretty enough for a baby shower or afternoon tea, but easy and approachable enough for a backyard BBQ with neighbors. The cream cheese gives these a light, cakey texture that you’ll really love. In fact, it may even get you brainstorming other ways to add more cream cheese into your life.
Ingredients For Lemon Cream Cheese Cookies:
For the cookies:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 stick salted butter, softened
- 4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
For the Icing:
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 to 3 teaspoons lemon zest
Instructions For Lemon Cream Cheese Cookies:
- Heat your oven to 350 F and prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour and baking powder and set aside.
- With an electric mixer, beat the butter and cream cheese in a large bowl until light and fluffy.
- To this, add the sugar and beat for about 3 minutes, until light and fluffy again.
- Next, beat in the egg and 1 tablespoon of lemon zest.
- Add the flour mixture, lemon juice, and lemon extract. Blend well.
- Using a cookie scoop or tablespoon, drop the cookie dough onto the baking sheet.
- Coat the bottom of a drinking glass with sugar. Use this to flatten each cookie a little.
- Bake until bottoms are lightly browned, 10-12 minutes.
- Make the icing while the cookies are in the oven. Combine the confectioners’ sugar, lemon juice, and lemon zest in a bowl and stir well until smooth and silky.
- Cool the cookies slightly on a wire rack. Drizzle each one to taste with a lemon icing.
The post Lemon Cream Cheese Cookies appeared first on Healthy Holistic Living.