Quick, easy and comforting… that’s what soup should be all about! If it’s healthy for you, and reasonably priced, all the better. As the coronavirus pandemic continues to spread into the summer months of 2020, many of us have begun to look at the food we put into our bodies as much more important than ever before. The quality of the ingredients and their contribution to a well-rounded meal is really something worth considering. Health is wealth, and our strong immunity is key right now to staying well-ahead of COVID-19.
Lockdown has certainly changed the way many of us live and work. It’s not exactly convenient in many ways, to be stuck at home so much. But the uptick is that a pot of soup on the stove, filled with delicious, hearty ingredients, can happen any time of day! It’s no longer just the kind of thing to be saved for cozy weekends or when we have a cold. The time to take care of our bodies, and to nourish them with the best food we can make, is anytime. Nothing has made that more clear than this pandemic!
So with that, we present you with this wonderfully easy and good for you chicken and kale soup. It’s got ingredients to keep you strong, healthy, and nourished. Plus it’s so easy you could practically make it with your eyes closed.
Yummy, Hearty, Chicken And Kale Soup
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 ½ cups chopped yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 (15 ounce) can no-salt-added great northern beans, rinsed
- 12 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast or chicken tenders
- 2 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and diced (1/2-inch)
- 6 cups unsalted chicken broth
- 3 thyme sprigs
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- 3 cups chopped kale or 1 10-ounce package frozen chopped kale
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- In a large-sized pot over medium heat, place the oil and onion. Cook, stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes or until softened. To this, add the garlic and cook for about 1 minute, allowing to become fragrant. But don’t let it burn! Next, add the beans, chicken, potatoes, broth, thyme, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to maintain a simmer. Cover the pot and cook until the potatoes are tender and the chicken is cooked through.
- Once fully cooked, remove the chicken from the soup and shred it. Stir the kale into the soup, and bump the heat up a little. Cook for about two minutes, until the kale is wilted and tender. Remove the pot from heat, stir in the shredded chicken, and the lemon juice. Remove the thyme sprigs before serving, and enjoy!
The post Chicken And Kale Soup appeared first on Healthy Holistic Living.