Dear Reader: These are extraordinary times we’re living in, and while we always have a view toward health and wellness, sometimes the concept of self-care and wellness becomes a little different. As our needs shift, self-care might look like an over-the-top blanket fort in the living room… or decadent treats that aren’t normally a part of your diet. We believe that sometimes it’s OK to forego the usual self-care routine. That’s why the Pandemic Pantry series includes some “yummy but maybe not for every day” recipes for you to try. Enjoy!
Rich, creamy blackberry cream cheese pie is the only dessert you need this summer!
Anything can be made better with the addition of cream cheese, and nothing proves that point better than this wonderful no-bake pie. It hits all the right notes for those warm nights under the stars.
The Health Benefits Of Blackberries
Not only is it delicious, but blackberries are loaded with good-for-you yumminess too. Just one cup of raw blackberries has half of your recommended daily dose of vitamin C. This is great news for every part of you, from the glow of your skin to the health of your organs. Vitamin C is a top-notch antioxidant and health-booster, but that’s not all the punch these berries are packing. They’re high in fiber too, making them an ally in your quest for healthy digestion. Fiber helps keep you fuller longer, may reduce cholesterol and control blood sugar levels too. (2)
You may be wondering about the health benefits of cream cheese. There are many, though they are largely intangible. How does one put a value on creamy cheesy bliss? That’s right, you can’t.
Tip: this decadent yumminess is already pretty easy to put together, but if you are pressed for time you could make the syrup a day ahead.
Blackberry Cream Cheese Pie
- 5 cups blackberries
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch (Add 1 tablespoon at a time until desired consistency)
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 3 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1 baked 8-inch or 9-inch pie shell
- Whipped cream and/or additional berries, to garnish (optional)
- Combine 3 cups of the berries along with the water in a medium-size saucepan. Bring this to a boil for just a couple of minutes. Let it cool, and strain the mixture to remove the seeds. Return the blackberry syrup to the saucepan. Next stir in the sugar, cornstarch, and lemon juice. Bring back to a boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Cool.
- Once cool, blend the milk, cream cheese, and lemon zest together until smooth. Spread evenly in the bottom of the pie shell. Top with the remaining 2 cups of uncooked berries. Pour the cooled and thickened syrup evenly over everything. Refrigerate for at least one hour.
- Before serving, add whipped cream and additional berries if desired.
The post Blackberry Cream Cheese Pie appeared first on Healthy Holistic Living.